Second Stage Housing
The Emily Murphy Centre was established to empower women who have experienced violence, with or without children, to offset the effects of such violence. Through the provision of services for women and children, second stage housing provides a safe alternative to living with violence and allows women to work co-operatively toward independence and freedom.
The Emily Murphy Centre is a 20 unit apartment complex located in the City of Stratford. We are the Second Stage Residence for women who have experienced violence, with or without children in Stratford and Perth County.
Indoor areas include:
- A child development area
- Group room
- Donation / Supply room
- Common Room
Outdoor areas include:
- Secure, enclosed courtyard
- Creative play area
- Recreational areas
What Do We Offer?
The Emily Murphy Centre offers women who have experienced violence, with or without children, a secure and protected environment for up to 12 months.
- 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units
- Rent geared-to-income units
- Security features
- A non-violent atmosphere
- Individual and group counseling programs for women and children
- Community Advocacy
- Assistance / referrals to various community resources
- Practical assistance (food, clothing, shoes, household items, etc.)
- Heat, hydro, water included
What Makes Me Eligible?
You can apply for residence at the Emily Murphy Centre if you are a woman who has experienced violence, who:
- May be living in the home or have separated.
- Is in need of safe, supportive, affordable housing.
- Is willing to live in a cooperative non-violent atmosphere and agree to the conditions of occupancy.
How to Apply?
Call the Emily Murphy Centre for more information on how to apply for housing or contact:
City of Stratford
Social Housing Division
82 Erie Street
1 (519) 271-3773 ext 272
Please download and print the Housing Application. Complete and deliver application to 82 Erie St. – Stratford Housing division. The application must be signed in front of Housing staff.
All applications must be submitted with proof of income, photo identification and identification for children and proof of pregnancy if relevant.